Friday, November 16, 2007

I am thankful for patience . . .

I often run short on patience. Very often. I have gotten better as I have gotten older, but I am still too short too often. My older & wiser sister, who is a mother of three, always told me that patience comes when you have your own children. Hmmm. Not sure she was right about that. I am finding myself snapping at Erika & Ainslee with some frequency lately. I justify it in my head by listing reasons that may allow me to be grumpy (lack of sleep, hormones, being tied to the sofa/ bed/ chair as I nurse . . .), but those are all excuses. I should be more patient with them. Today, to try an avoid any snappishness on my part I decided to avoid the car and errands that always ensue when we are all loaded up, and to hoof it. The girls and I went on a long, long walk through a couple different neighborhoods, past a mini goat farm where we stopped for a while, and then back towards home with one last detour to the park. It is something we should do more often. We tend to go to parks a lot but I usually end up sitting on a bench talking while the girls play. Not quite the same. So, during this season of thanksgiving, I am thankful for a healthy family, good friends, and patience (which I promise to strive for more of).

2 comments:

Stacy said...

me too.
& Amen.
Enjoy your holiday!

Julie said...

Oh, patience is a struggle... I used to consider myself extremely patient (and often received compliments about it) but as I've aged and with 3 children to raise, I think I've become less patient!

Sounds like the walk was a wonderful idea that everyone enjoyed. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!